School starts in exactly a month for my kiddos, and I thought I’d compile a helpful list of tips to get ready and stay successful (as a mom) for the upcoming school year.
- Wake up earlier than your children: It truly helps to go into my daughter and sons room fully dressed requesting that they wake up versus me yelling into their bedroom from my bed. If that means setting my alarm at 6 instead of 6:30. So be it.
- Prepare for the entire week: I learned this from one of my best friends, would you believe that she irons ALL of her children’s clothes for the week on Sunday night? Well, she does and each and every year I’m amazed by it. No searching for shirts, or jeans, or anything like that. It helps to know exactly what you’re wearing before morning arrives.
- Get to know your children’s teachers/class subjects: This will allow you to ask specific questions aside from the typical “how was your day?” or “what did you do today?”. If your kids are anything like mine they’ll have one word answers. Try something like “how was art class today? What are you working on in Mrs. Beasley’s class? What project are you looking most forward to this school year?”
- Go to school functions: Make space in your schedule to attend school events. This not only lets the teachers and administrative staff know that you’re involved in your child’s life, but it also lets your child know that you care enough to come up to the school without being forced to due to bad behavior.
- Pray: Pray with your children before school, make it a normal part of their lives. Just like us, our children run into opposition, temptation, and a host of other things on a daily basis that sometimes we have no idea that they’re dealing with. Start their day and yours with a prayer.
That’s all I have currently. If anyone has any tips that they think would be helpful feel free to leave them in the comments below. We are a community that shares, so please feel free to do so.
Until next time…